4c Hair Feature: Michele
I know how encouraging it is to read about other naturals with 4c hair texture, especially those from the UK. Over the coming months I would like to bring more exposure to other UK natural websites particularly highlighting those who have 4c hair. If you live in the UK and would like to feature on the website please get in touch! So here is the first feature on UK natural Michele N Dimbua from UKnatssisters.com.
1. CurlyB: Tell us about yourself.
2. CB: How long have you been natural or transitioning for?
M: I've been natural for 19 months now, and I love it! But at first I didn't like the look too much and I was relying on wash and go's or braid outs etc to reduce the kinkiness of my hair texture. But after that I began to appreciate my 4C texture and now I rarely do twist outs I just wear my fro out!
3. CB: What is your hair regime?
M: My hair regimen is simple:
- Co-wash: once a week
- Shampoo: once every 6 weeks (sometimes I don't at all for the entire 2 months)
- Bicarbonate: Once every 5 weeks
- Treatment: once a week ; Avocado and extra virgin olive oil
- Deep condition: once a week; Conditioner and olive oil
Styling: I used to wear my Fro out a lot, but now I'm on a protective style challenge. So my hair is always protected on buns, braids, twists etc.
Combing: I never comb my hair unless it's wet! I usually finger detangle.
Moisturising and products:
- Daily: with water and olive oil.
- Once a week: home made Shea butter cream.
- Leave in - African Pride Shea butter leave in conditioner.
Trim: when necessary!
4. CB: What products do you use on your hair?
M: I use:
- Alberto Balsam for deep conditioning
- Kuza 100% Shea butter
- Homemade Shea buttery cream
- IC Fantasia Gel
- Extra virgin Olive oil (best moisturiser)
- Castor oil
- Almond oil (best sealant)
I use Almond and extra virgin olive oil because they are the two few oils that penetrate the hair strand. I buy these products anywhere. Fantasia gel I buy at any local African Shop. Olive oil - Tesco, almond oil - any Pakistani or Bengali corner shops, Alberto Balsam - Savers, Asda or Tesco. Castor Oil - Amazon UK.
5. CB: What are your 3 favourite styles?
M: Mini twists, Marley twist, big fro! Because they are styles that most naturals don't do. It looks different and Afrocentric.
6. CB: What do you think is the best feature about your hair texture?
M: Best feature about my hair is shrinkage, the fact that I can have it out long or short is brilliant!
7. CB: Do you have any encouragement for those with kinky, coily hair?
M: For newly naturals... Dare to be different, there is a reason why you were given a particular type of hair!
A big thank you Michele for featuring on CurlyB. Stay tuned for more 4c features!